World Class Sports Venues for Competitions
Lynn Hobeck Bates, APR | Communications Manager
941-955-0991 Ext. 103
- Nathan Benderson Park, a world-class aquatics and rowing facility, features a premier 2,000-meter regatta course, the only International Rowing Federation-approved course in North America. The facility will host the 2017 World Rowing Championships, the first United States destination to host the event since 1994. The park will also be the site of the Masters World Rowing Regatta in 2018. Sarasota County is quickly gaining a reputation for hosting international competitions.
- YMCA Selby Aquatic Center, an outdoor swimming and aquatics facility featuring a recently-renovated 50-meter pool, was host to the Pan American Masters Swimming Championships in 2013. Bleachers seat up to 1,200 spectators and the facility also has a scoreboard, public address system and scorekeeping system. A recreational waterpark and leisure area are also adjacent to the competition area for spectators to enjoy.
- Ed Smith Stadium and Buck O’Neil Complex is a major league facility featuring an 8,000-seat stadium. Often referred to as “Birdland South,” Ed Smith Stadium hosts Major League Spring Training and the combined complex that includes the Buck O’Neil Baseball Complex at Twin Lakes Park features all of the ballpark amenities to make all athletes feel like they’re in the big leagues.
- Serving as the country’s oldest continuously running BMX track, the Sarasota BMX Track will be getting a complete facelift in the near future to include an eight-meter ramp and dual-purpose amateur and Supercross track. In addition to BMX, Strider has become a widely popular activity at the facility with its own specialized track. Sarasota County will host the 2016 UCI BMX Supercross World Cup finals in October 2016.
- Sarasota Polo Grounds’ 130 acres, nine meticulously groomed and irrigated polo fields, two stick and ball fields and a regulation-sized arena make Sarasota Polo Club one of the largest clubs in the country. Additionally, an on-site clubhouse and pavilion provide convenient spectator viewing and event administration.
- Located in Venice, Fox Lea Farm is one of the few privately-owned equestrian facilities in the state. Hunter jumper, quarter horse, appaloosa and dressage shows have all been held at this facility. In addition to bleachers and viewing pavilions, an on-site café is open for every event.
- Ten permanent beach volleyball courts are located at Siesta Key Beach, with space for up to 30 additional courts. Lido Key, Longboat Key and Venice beaches host triathlons and various kinds of races.
- The Resort at Longboat Key Club is one of the nation’s top ten tennis resorts offering 20 Har-Tru courts and stadium seating for up to 3,500 at its USTA Award-winning facility. In addition to 29 tennis courts, Sarasota Bath and Racquet Club features five racquetball and three squash courts. Payne Park Tennis Center, conveniently located in downtown Sarasota, features an additional twelve tennis courts.
For more information on discovering Sarasota and Florida’s Gulf Coast, contact Visit Sarasota County© at (941) 706-1253 or visitsarasota.org. Information may also be found on smartphones and tablets by downloading the Visit Sarasota County© app.