THE 2024 SARASOTA OPERA SEASON
Sarasota has become one of the most vibrant Florida communities. Our city has grown from a sleepy beach getaway to an international Arts destination. At the center of this community is Sarasota Opera—as unique as our Florida home.
When you step into our theater—with the perfect size and acoustics for live opera—you’ll leave the outside world behind for an unforgettable experience of music, lights, costumes, sets, and vocals.
Welcome to our world of kings and queens, heroes and villains, passionate love, intense drama, and the inextinguishable power of the human spirit.
This is Sarasota Opera. THE 2024 WINTER OPERA FESTIVAL
FEBRUARY 17 – MARCH 24, 2023 CARMEN by Georges Bizet
- February 17, 20, 22, 25m, 28
- March 2m, 5, 8, 13, 17, 19m, 22 Carmen, the seductive and enigmatic heroine of Bizet's opera, has enticed Corporal Don José who upends his life to be with her. When her interest turns to the charismatic bullfighter Escamillo, José's enraged jealousy leads to catastrophe. Opera-lovers and newcomers alike will bask in some of opera's most recognizable music! LUCIA DI LAMMERMOOR by Gaetano Donizetti
- February 24, 27, 29
- March 3, 6, 10, 16, 23m Deceit leads to murder and madness, in Donizetti's masterpiece, based on Sir Walter Scott's The Bride of Lammermoor. To save his family's fortunes, Enrico Ashton has promised his sister Lucia's hand to a Scottish nobleman, instead of Edgardo, the man she loves, and a member of a rival family. The ensuing drama is excitingly captured in Donizetti's beautifully romantic music, with many well-known operatic highlights including Lucia's famous mad scene. LUISA MILLER by Giuseppe Verdi
- March 9, 12, 14, 16m, 20, 24m One of Giuseppe Verdi's lesser performed but passionately romantic dramas, Luisa Miller returns to Sarasota Opera after 25 years. Luisa, the daughter of an old soldier, is in love with Carlo, who is really, Rodolfo, the son of the ruthless Count Walter. The count's opposition to the couple's love leads to tragedy, in an opera filled with memorable arias and thrilling ensembles. DECEIT OUTWITTED (L'infedeltà delusa) by Joseph Haydn)
- March 15, 17m, 19, 21, 23m Joseph Haydn is one of classical music's most famous composers, but his substantial body of opera is virtually unknown. In the delightful comedy, Deceit Outwitted (L'infedeltà delusa), the peasant, Filippo hopes his daughter Sandrina will marry the rich farmer Nencio instead of the poor peasant with whom she is in love. Through a series of comic complications (including a parade of disguises), all is happily resolved, accompanied by Haydn's inventive score and brilliant singing. This will be a Sarasota Opera premiere. Check out our full calendar at sarasotaopera.org